Saturday, August 22, 2015

memoir of a grey piece...

I've been looking at a piece titled 'movie reel'. it can be seen at my website or on facebook. that particular piece was dedicated to my sister for her birthday. i wanted to do something special as she is near and dear to me. i was pondering what to do for days and to no avail no ideas. what i ended up doing instead was just painting and hoping (knowing rather) that it will come to me. what ended up ensuing was what is on the canvas right now. what i really wanted to talk about was the color that was used in it. that piece was the first piece i ever used a color that i mixed by will, no secret formula just mix and there it is. i liked the way that shade of grey can never be bought, replicated, reproduced or remade. that particular shade reminds me of the car from back to the future. it can also be related to a lot of those old movie reels too. it wasn't my first attempt with color (which i hate) but it was my first attempt at making and using my own color and that was exciting. i feel i did a great job, and I'm not know as a man who uses color. in the future i may or may not use more color, who knows. as a self taught artist such as myself, i think it of utmost importance to do what ever controls the art (mind, body, soul, etc.). i personally just paint and shape a piece accordingly, i don't use pictures, references etc., i just think and paint and the combination comes together and great things happen... obviously the main focus is the shade of grey i used in the topic of conversation but the more i think about the art that i do, and the more people ask me about it, the more i realize there is a lot more to it. each piece has an initial undertone and then an interpretation. a picture never does justice unfortunately but an explanation and an emotion go a long way.              

No comments:

Post a Comment